Galați, the city of the Blue Danube, once also known as the City of linden trees, reveals itself to tourists through its architectural jewels, historical monument churches, museums, parks and gardens, but also through the natural attractions in the surroundings. We recommend some of the most impressive tourist attractions, which you should definitely consider when planning your trip to the city on the edge of the Danube.
The Danube cliff
It is one of the representative areas of Galați and stretches for approximately 4 km. Promenade place for all, where musical concerts and sports competitions take place frequently ("La Elice" concerts and Children's Cross Country). It represents almost the only area where resources have been exploited for leisure. It offers great potential for relaxation and leisure through green spaces. It is "populated" by many original old iron art pieces. On the shore of the lower cliff there are many boats converted into restaurants. The Danube cliff is an integral part of the life of the city's inhabitants, being the outdoor sports ground for exercise lovers, but also a place of inspiration for amateur or professional photographers. The cliff is accessible in any season and various events are occasionally organized here: concerts, exhibitions, sports competitions.
The Television Tower of Galati
On a promontory with an impressive view from the southern part of the city, in the Danube district, you can visit a masterpiece of modern engineering: the television tower. Almost 150 meters high, it dominates the city and offers an extraordinary view of the course of the Danube and the mountains of Dobrogea. The construction was completed in 1978. Climbing to the top of the tower can only be done by an elevator. Very close to the tower (within a radius of only 200 meters) are the Danube beach, the Multipurpose Hall, the "Dunărea" stadium and the ICMRS tennis complex.
Natural Sciences Museum Complex "Răsvan Angheluță"
Also called the Botanical Garden or the Dendrological Park, it contains the planetarium with a dome diameter of 7 meters, here different projections can be viewed ("The Solar System", "The Giants of the Solar System", "Nebulae and Star Clusters"), so that the visiting public can travel imaginary in all corners of the Universe; also, many educational programs are held in the planetarium, good examples being the Astroclub "Călin Popovici", but also the Educational Program "Let's get to know the Sun", aimed at students of grades V-XII. The theme of the aquarium is the rare and very rare ichthyofauna from the Danube hydrological basin, the fauna of the Mediterranean Sea and some exotic fish species. The Botanical Garden dominates the left bank of the Danube, occupying an area of 18 hectares.
Fortified Church "Sfanta Precista"
It is the oldest building in Galaţi, being consecrated as a place of worship in September 1647, during the reign of Vasile Lupu. The church was dedicated to the Vatoped Monastery on Mount Athos. When building the church, the existing materials were used on site: stone from Barboși, wood from the forests on the Covurluiului platform, brick and lime, sand from the Danube beaches, etc. The architecture of the church is Romanian and presents some specific elements: the bell tower is equipped with ramparts, which could be used for observing the Danube Valley, and in case of need it became a defensive fortification. The tower, consisting of two levels, is provided with a room for hiding valuables, with two ramparts and an access door, probably to a balcony. The second level was provided with windows and ramparts. Another element of defense at "Precista" is the reinforced bridge, made up of two parts, one above the nave and the other above the altar. The bridge is equipped with 28 ramparts. In the masonry, between the rows of bricks, stone is used, a technique not used in other Moldovan churches built in the same period. The "Precista" church endured all the vicissitudes of time, being burned in 1711 by the Ottomans, destroyed in the Russian-Ottoman-Austrian wars of 1735-1739 and 1769-1774. In 1821, the Ottomans destroyed and looted the place again. The church was rebuilt and restored in 1829 and 1859. It was also restored between 1953-1957, after which the church was turned into a museum. In the period 1991-1994, the "Precista" church was restored and returned to the Orthodox cult. It is said that there is a secret tunnel under the Danube from the church to the other side of the river to be able to hide goods and escape from enemy attacks.